SCCM Software Updates Scan failed with error = 0xc80003f3

Introduction

So, how to fix the “SCCM Software Updates Scan failed with error = 0xc80003f3”?

The other day, when distributing some software updates to a lot of my SCCM clients, I noticed that the software updates were not being downloaded to some of the machines. I got this message in the UpdatesDeployment.log:

Job error (0xc80003f3) received for assignment

Updates will not be made available

 

And I noticed the following message in the WUAHandler.log:

Error message WUAHandler.log

OnSearchComplete – Failed to end search job. Error = 0xc80003f3.

Scan failed with error = 0xc80003f3.

 

How to make the SCCM client download the updates?

Don’t reinstall the SCCM client 🙂 I tried that and it didn’t work.

The solution to this issue, the one that worked for me, and I believe it will work in most cases is:

  1. Stop the WUAUSERV service (Windows Update)
    1. in Powershell (it’s how I do it):
      1. Stop-Service WUAUSERV -Force or
      2. if you are in a command prompt, type: net stop wuauserv
  2. Rename the software distribution folder
    1. rename C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution.OLD
    2. if you feel brave enough, just delete it.
  3. Start the WUAUSERV service
    1. in Powershell (it’s how I do it):
      1. Start-Service WUAUSERV  or
      2. if you are in a command prompt, type: net start wuauserv

And that should do the trick! After these three simple steps, my machines started to download all pending updates!

Reference: Technet

 

As always, if you found this article useful, share it with your friends.

If you have any questions or suggestions, leave your comment.

Thank you for reading!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Holler Box